Arts on the Green, the City of Gaithersburg’s home for the performing and visual arts which includes the Kentland’s Mansion and Arts Barn, is now soliciting production proposals for the theater season beginning July 2017 through June 2018. Located in the Kentland’s, the Arts Barn (theatre venue) is housed in a Victorian-era renovated stable with a charming 99-seat theater.
Productions accepted for the Theater Series will be part of the Theater Arts Partnership Program (TAPP). A production partnership is created between the production company and the Arts Barn/City of Gaithersburg. The City provides use of the Arts Barn and its many resources (fully equipped theatre, rehearsal space, box office, advertising and marketing support) without the high rental rates of other facilities in the area. The production company is responsible for the direct production costs of the show (royalties, set and construction, props, costumes, etc.). The box office proceeds are then split between the production company and the City. This unique program provides TAPP partners affordable, quality production space while helping the City fulfill its commitment to a robust arts and cultural environment for its residents.
The theater season is July 2017 through June 2018. Ten productions will comprise the 2017-2018 theater season. Theater productions generally run three weeks preceded by a week of tech time in the theater. There are also three 2-week slots available in the 2017-2018 season.
Groups may apply for up to four production slots and may offer up to six shows to be considered. This selection process is conducted annually and selections are based on the strength of the proposal and the credentials of the theater group. No group, regardless of past TAPP participation is assured of inclusion in the theater series. The Arts Barn reserves the right to decline any or all proposals submitted.
Factors to consider before making your proposal:
- Due to the installation of a new cooling tower and HVAC system, the Arts Barn will be closed for approximately 2 weeks sometime during mid-August through mid-September. (Alternative rehearsal space will be available for TAPP members.) Arts on the Green will present ten productions in a 12-month season. Most production slots are for a 3-week run (Fri & Sat at 8pm and Sun at 2pm) but there are some designated 2-week productions slots. With regards to a 2-week slot, the Arts Barn is open to having two performances on one day (i.e., Sat & Sun at 2pm). Companies are also encouraged to consider adding a Thursday evening performance in lieu of a brush-up rehearsal.
- The preference is for large, family-oriented musicals in July and August. Additionally, the Arts Barn will open the academic year (September) and close the season (June) with strong productions such as familiar musicals, mysteries, comedies or children’s shows.
- Children’s Theatre (adult performers) and Youth Theatre (youth performers) productions typically have performances on Saturday and Sunday at 11am & 2pm only. We will also consider adding a 7:30pm performance on Friday evenings if selecting a 2-week production slot.
- The Arts Barn seeks to develop a season that includes all genres (comedy, drama, mystery, musical) and has something for everyone.
- Please think thematically. For example:
Strong choices for the November-December slot would include a holiday theme that the whole family can enjoy. (Note: Show will open on a Saturday.)
Romance-themed productions are sought for February.
- The Arts Barn seeks quality theater and puppetry geared for children and youth.
- The Arts Barn will consider re-mounts or encore performances of successful shows which your group recently produced.
- The Arts Barn seeks a balance of the familiar along with the new and edgy.
- The Arts Barn welcomes proposals that include marketing ideas that will bring in new audiences.
- For the FY18 season, the 15th Anniversary of the Arts Barn, Arts on the Green is developing a signature series across performing and visual arts genres that focus on celebrations and anniversary events. Approximately six to seven arts presentations will be selected as part of this series. We anticipate including one or more theatrical productions in the series as well as music, dance, visual art and more. If you can tie your proposed show to a significant anniversary or celebration event, please note that in your proposal. (A few examples of anniversaries in FY18: bicentennial of Mary Shelly’s “Frankenstein”; centennial of women’s suffrage; 65th anniversary of “Charlotte’s Web”; 76th anniversary of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s first musical collaboration, “Oklahoma!”; 150th anniversary of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s birthdate; and the centennial of the United States’ entry into World War I.)
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are made via an online form. Supplemental material (scripts, librettos or musical CDs) are welcome, but not required unless requested by the Theatre Program Coordinator. If sending supplemental materials digitally, please direct them to the Theatre Program Coordinator, Laura W. Andruski at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR SNAIL MAIL:
Laura W. Andruski
311 Kent Square Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
- All online applications must be complete by December 16, 2016.
- If requested, all supplemental material must be delivered to the Arts Barn by December 30th.
- Decisions will be made by February 24, 2017.
- To complete an application go to: https://fs30.formsite.com/ArtsBarn/form5/index.html
The article is by Laura Andruski.