Here are the choices for Best Director in a Musical and Play by the staff of DCMetroTheaterArts. Congrats to our honorees and to every director who worked on our local stages in 2013.
Please leave your list of performances you would also like to personally give a standing ovation in the COMMENT BOX.
BEST DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL of 2013
(1) Patrick A’Hearn for The Full Monty at Riverside Center Dinner Theater.
(2) Patrick A’Hearn for Les Misèrables at Riverside Center Dinner Theater.
(3) Lisa Anne Bailey for Next to Normal at McLean Community Players.
(4) Keith Alan Baker and Alan Paul for The Rocky Horror Show at The Studio Theatre.
(5) Michael Baron for Big Nate, The Musical at Adventure Theatre MTC.
(6) Joe Calarco for Gypsy at Signature Theatre.
(7) Christina Coakley and Michael Innocenti for Cabaret at The Keegan Theatre.
(8) John Desmone for Gypsy at Cockpit in Court.
(9) Susan Devine for A Chorus Line at The Arlington Players.
(10) Mo Dutterer for The Producers at Silhouette Stages.
(11) Pauline S. Grossman for The Wiz at Montgomery College Summer 2013 Dinner Theatre.
(12) Evan Hoffman for Caroline, or Change at Elden Street Players (now NextStop Theatre Company).
(13) Kevin Kuchar for In The Heights at Act Two @ Levine.
(14) Kevin Kuchar for Next to Normal at Act Two @ Levine.
(15) Jenny Male for [title of show] at Red Branch Theatre Company.
(16) Tom Mallan for Abduction from the Seraglio at The In Series.
(18) Darnell Morris for Ragtime at Kensington Arts Center.
(19) Stephen Nachamie for A Chorus Line at Olney Theatre Center.
(20) Toby Orenstein and Steven Fleming for Les Misèrables at Toby’s Dinner Theatre of Columbia.
(21) Alan Paul for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at Shakespeare Theatre Company.
(22) Craig Pettinati for Parade at Kensington Arts Center.
(23) Amy Poe for RENT School Edition at McLean High School Theatre Company.
(24) Eric J. Potter for Company at Vagabond Players.
(25) Mark Rhea and Susan Rhea for The Full Monty at The Keegan Theatre.
(26) Joseph Ritsch for Spring Awakening at Towson University.
(27) Fuzz Roark for Into the Woods at Spotlighters Theatre.
(28) Eric Shaeffer for Company at Signature Theatre.
(29) Eric Schaeffer for Miss Saigon at Signature Theatre.
(30) Eric Schaeffer for Spin at Signature Theatre.
(31) Jason Schlafstein for The Best of Craigslist at Flying V.
(32) Michael Sharp for A Broadway Christmas Carol at MetroStage.
(33) Frank Shutts II for Avenue Q at The Little Theatre of Alexandria.
(34) Bobby Smith for Lucky Stiff at Montgomery College.
(35) Janet Stanford for Lulu and the Brontosaurus at Imagination Stage.
(36) Christopher Guy Thorn for Avenue Q at Dominion Stage.
(37) Mark Waldrop for The King and I at Olney Theatre Center.
(38) Chad Wheeler for Crazy for You at Rockville Musical Theatre.
(39) Stephanie Lynn Williams for Dear Edwina at Red Branch Theatre Company.
BEST DIRECTOR OF A PLAY in 2013
(1) Michael Avolio for The Iceman Cometh at Quotidian Theatre Company.
(2) Duane Boutté for Home at Rep Stage.
(3) Sherrionne Brown for Private Lives at Vagabond Players.
(4) Michael Chamberlin for Optimism! Or Voltaire’s Candide at Spooky Action Theater.
(5) Frank Di Salvo, Jr. for The Mousetrap at The Parlor Room Theatre.
(6) David Esbjornson for Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner at Arena Stage.
(7) Yael Farber for Mies Julie at Shakespeare Theatre Company.
(8) Michael John Garcès for The Convert at Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company.
(9) Matthew Gardiner for The Laramie Project at Ford’s Theatre.
(10) Derek Goldman for Clementine in the Lower Nine at Forum Theatre.
(11) Mitchell Hébert for Glengarry Glen Ross at Round House Theatre.
(12) Josh Hecht for The Personals at No Rules Theatre Company.
(13) Eleanor Holdridge for After the Revolution at Theater J.
(14) Judith Ivey for Our Suburb at Theater J.
(15) Thomas W. Jones III for Gee’s Bend at MetroStage.
(16) Michael Kahn for Torch Song Trilogy at The Studio Theatre.
(17) Steffan Larson for Fanny & Alexander by Stockholm’s Royal Dramatic Theater at The Kennedy Center.
(18) Mario Marcel for Club de Caballeros at Teatro de la Luna.
(19) Jackie Maxwell for Good People at Arena Stage.
(20) Steven Scott Mazzola for Biography at The American Century. Theater.
(21) Toby Mulford for The Lady Becomes Him at Factions of Fools.
(22) Brandon McCoy for These Shining Lives – a co-production between HCC’s Arts Collective and HCC’s Theatre Department.
(23) Jonathan Munby for Measure for Measure at Shakespeare Theatre Company.
(24) Lila Neugebauer for Red Speedo at The Studio Theatre.
(25) Kevin O’Connell for Frost/Nixon at SIlver Spring Stage.
(26) Aaron Posner for Romeo and Juliet at Folger Theatre.
(27) Kerri Rambow for Rabbit Hole at The Keegan Theatre.
(28) Robert Richmond for Twelfth Night at Folger Theatre.
(29) Ryan Rilette for How to Write a New Book for the Bible at Round House Theatre Company.
(31) Serge Seiden for The Motherfucker with a Hat at The Studio Theatre.
(32) Shirley Serotsky for The Hampton Years at Theater J.
(33) Molly Smith for The Velocity of Autumn at Arena Stage.
(34) Christy Stanlake for The Importance of Being Earnest at the United States Naval Academy’s Masqueraders.
(35) Liesl Tommy for Appropriate at Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company.
(37) Paata Tsikurishvili for The Three Musketeers at Synetic Theater.
(38) John Vreeke for Ghost-Writer at MetroStage.
(39) John Vreeke for The Lyons at Round House Theatre.
(40) Doug Wilder for Noises Off at 1st Stage.
(41) Michael Wright for Extremities at Molotov Theatre Group.
(42) Mary Zimmerman for Metamorphoses at Arena Stage.
DCMetroTheaterArts Staff’s 2013 Special Awards.
THE BEST OF 2013: ‘Favorite Musicals of 2013′ by The Staff of DCMetroTheaterArts.
THE BEST OF 2013: ‘Favorite Plays of 2013′ by The Staff of DCMetroTheaterArts.
THE BEST OF 2013: ‘Favorite Performances by An Actor and Actress in a Musical′ by The Staff of DCMetroTheaterArts.
THE BEST OF 2013: ‘Favorite Performances by An Actor and Actress in a Play′ by The Staff of DCMetroTheaterArts.
THE BEST OF 2013: ‘Favorite Supporting Actor and Actress in a Musical′ by The Staff of DCMetroTheaterArts.
THE BEST OF 2013: ‘Favorite Supporting Actor and Actress in a Play′ by The Staff of DCMetroTheaterArts.
THE BEST OF 2013: ‘Favorite Director in a Musical and Play by The Staff of DCMetroTheaterArts.