Call for Proposals for the 2015-2016 Theater Season at the Arts Barn
Arts on the Green, the City of Gaithersburg’s premiere center for the performing and visual arts which includes the Kentland’s Mansion and Arts Barn, is now soliciting production proposals for the theater season beginning September 2015 through June 2016. Located in the Kentland’s, the Arts Barn (theatre venue) is housed in a Victorian-era renovated stable with a charming 99-seat theater and a robust theater season from September through June.
Productions accepted for the Theater Series will be part of the Theater Arts Partnership Program (TAPP). A production partnership is created between the production company and the Arts Barn/City of Gaithersburg. The City provides use of the Arts Barn and its many resources (fully equipped theatre, rehearsal space, box office, advertising and marketing support) without the high rental rates of other facilities in the area. The production company is responsible for the direct production costs of the show (royalties, set and construction, props, costumes, etc.). The box office proceeds are then split between the production company and the City. This unique program provides TAPP partners affordable, quality production space while helping the City fulfill its commitment to a robust arts and cultural environment for its residents.
The theater season is September 2015 through June 2016. Summer is not considered as part of the regular theater season. Ten productions will comprise the 2015-2016 theater season. Theater productions generally run three weeks preceded by a week of tech time in the theater. Proposals for shorter or longer runs are welcomed and will be given full consideration.
Groups may apply for up to four production slots and may offer up to six shows to be considered. This selection process is conducted annually and selections are based on the strength of the proposal and the credentials of the theater group. No group, regardless of past TAPP participation is assured of inclusion in the theater series. The Art Barn reserves the right to decline any or all proposals submitted.
Factors to consider before making your proposal:
· Arts Barn will open and close the season with strong productions such as familiar musicals, comedies or children’s shows.
· Arts Barn seeks to develop a season that includes all genres (comedy, drama, musical) and has something for everyone.
· Strong choices for December would include holiday themes that the whole family can enjoy. A four week run would be considered.
· Arts Barn seeks quality theater and puppetry geared for children and youth.
· Romance-themed productions are sought for February.
· Arts Barn will consider re-mounts or encore performances of successful shows which your group recently produced.
· Arts Barn seeks a balance of the familiar and the new and edgy.
· Arts Barn welcomes proposals that include marketing ideas that will bring in new audiences.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are made via an online form. In addition to completing the form, applicants must submit the following supplemental material: a digital or hard copy reading version of the script and, if the production, is a musical, links to the music online or a CD.
Electronic submissions go to the Theatre Program Coordinator, Laura W. Andruski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For snail mail:
Laura W. Andruski
311 Kent Square Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
· All online applications must be complete by December 15, 2014.
· All snail mail supplemental material must be delivered to the Arts Barn by December 30th.
· Decisions will be made by February 20, 2015.
· To complete an application go to: http://fs30.formsite.com/ArtsBarn/form5/index.html