Call for Proposals for the 2016-2017 Theater Season at the Arts Barn
Arts on the Green, the City of Gaithersburg’s premiere center for the performing and visual arts which includes the Kentlands Mansion and Arts Barn, is now soliciting production proposals for the theater season beginning July 2016 through June 2017 Located in the Kentlands, the Arts Barn (theatre venue) is housed in a Victorian-era renovated stable with a charming 99-seat theater.
Productions accepted for the Theater Series will be part of the Theater Arts Partnership Program (TAPP). A production partnership is created between the production company and the Arts Barn/City of Gaithersburg. The City provides use of the Arts Barn and its many resources (fully equipped theatre, rehearsal space, box office, advertising and marketing support) without the high rental rates of other facilities in the area. The production company is responsible for the direct production costs of the show (royalties, set and construction, props, costumes, etc.). The box office proceeds are then split between the production company and the City. This unique program provides TAPP partners affordable, quality production space while helping the City fulfill its commitment to a robust arts and cultural environment for its residents.
The theater season is July 2016 through June 2017. Twelve productions will comprise the 2016-2017 theater season. Theater productions generally run three weeks preceded by a week of tech time in the theater. There are also three 2-week slots available in the 2016-2017 season.
Groups may apply for up to four production slots and may offer up to six shows to be considered. This selection process is conducted annually and selections are based on the strength of the proposal and the credentials of the theater group. No group, regardless of past TAPP participation is assured of inclusion in the theater series. The Arts Barn reserves the right to decline any or all proposals submitted.
Factors to consider before making your proposal:
- Effective immediately, the Arts Barn will present twelve productions in a 12-month season. Most production slots are for a 3-week run (Fri & Sat at 8 pm and Sun at 2 pm) but there are some designated 2-week productions slots. With regards to a 2-week slot, the Arts Barn is open to having two performances on one day (for example: Fri & Sat at 8 pm; Sat & Sun at 2 pm) for a total of 8 performances versus the 9 performances usually found in a typical 3-week run. Companies are also encouraged to consider adding a Thursday evening performance in lieu of a brush-up rehearsal in the 2-week production slot to make the run nine (9) performances.
- The preference is for large family-oriented musicals in July and August. Additionally, the Arts Barn will open the academic year (September) and close the season (June) with strong productions such as familiar musicals, comedies or children’s shows. One Act Festivals are encouraged to apply for a 2-week slot.
- Children’s Theatre (youth performers) and Youth Theatre (adults performing for children) productions typically have performances on Saturday and Sunday at 11 am & 2 pm only. We will also consider adding a 7:30pm performance on Friday evenings if selecting a 2-week production slot.
- The Arts Barn seeks to develop a season that includes all genres (comedy, drama, mystery, musical) and has something for everyone.\
- Please think thematically:
o Mystery or thriller-themed productions are sought for October/November.
o Strong choices for December would include a holiday theme that the whole family can enjoy.
o Romance-themed productions are sought for February.
- Arts Barn seeks quality theater and puppetry geared for children and youth.
- Arts Barn will consider re-mounts or encore performances of successful shows which your group recently produced.
- Arts Barn seeks a balance of the familiar along with the new and edgy.
- Arts Barn welcomes proposals that include marketing ideas that will bring in new audiences.
- For the FY17 season, AOTG is developing a signature series across performing and visual arts genres that focus on arts and culture that are considered part of the American cannon. Approximately six to seven arts presentations will be selected as part of this series. We anticipate including one to two theatrical productions in the series as well as music, dance, visual art and more.
- HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are made via an online form. Supplemental material (scripts, librettos or musical CDs) are welcome, but not required unless requested by the Theatre Program Coordinator. If sending supplemental materials digitally, please direct them to the Theatre Program Coordinator, Laura W. Andruski at email@example.com.
For snail mail:
Laura W. Andruski
311 Kent Square Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878