by Doug Krentzlin
The Theatre Consortium of Silver Spring recently announced on their website that they are currently accepting membership applications. The consortium consists of companies that perform at the Silver Spring Black Box Theatre located at 8641 Colesville Road in Silver Spring, MD, right next door to the AFI Silver Theatre.
This news comes on the heels of Forum Theatre, the most high profile resident of the Black Box, announcing their intention to cease operations when their 14th season ends on July 31. The remaining companies connected to the space are Lumina Studio Theatre, Live Garra Theatre, and Artstream. The Black Box is also available for rentals for one-night events and limited runs.
According to the consortium, the qualifications for membership are as follows:
- Be incorporated for a minimum of three years and have 501(c)(3) status
- Demonstrate financial stability
- Have a minimum operating annual budget of $50,000
- Demonstrate a record of high-quality productions
- Have professionally compensated artists and staff
- Receive public funding through local, county, state or national sources
- Have a diverse funding base, with no more than 50 percent of contributed income from a single source.
- Demonstrate an intention to produce at the Silver Spring Black Box at least once per season.
Applications should be submitted to TCSSApplications@gmail.com no later than midnight on July 15