Arts on the Green, the City of Gaithersburg’s home for the performing and visual arts which includes the Kentlands Mansion and Arts Barn, is now soliciting production proposals for the theater season beginning July 2019 through June 2020. Located in the Kentlands, the Arts Barn (theatre venue) is housed in a Victorian-era renovated stable with a charming 99-seat theater.
Productions accepted for the Theater Series will be part of the Theater Arts Partnership Program (TAPP). A production partnership is created between the production company and the Arts Barn/City of Gaithersburg. The City provides use of the Arts Barn and its many resources (fully equipped theater, rehearsal space, box office, advertising and marketing support) without the high rental rates of other facilities in the area. The production company is responsible for the direct production costs of the show (royalties, set and construction, props, costumes, etc.). The box office proceeds are then split between the production company and the City. This unique program provides TAPP partners affordable, quality production space while helping the City fulfill its commitment to a robust arts and cultural environment for its residents.
The theater season is July 2019 through June 2020. Due to an anticipated summer shutdown of the Arts Barn for capital improvements, the September slot may be canceled. Please make sure to select an alternate slot if submitting a September show. Theater productions generally run three weeks preceded by a week of tech time in the theater. There are also five 2-week slots available in the 2019-2020 season.
Groups may propose up to five productions and may select as many performance slots as they wish. This selection process is conducted annually and selections are based on the strength of the proposal and the credentials of the theater group by a peer review committee. No group, regardless of past TAPP participation, is assured of inclusion in the theater series. The Arts Barn reserves the right to decline any or all proposals submitted.
Factors to consider before making your proposal:
- For a 2-week slot (not a youth theatre production), the Arts Barn is open to having two performances on one day (i.e., Saturday at 2 & 8 p.m.). Companies selecting a 2-week slot are also encouraged to consider adding a Thursday evening performance in lieu of a brush-up rehearsal. A Sunday evening 7:30 p.m. performance may also be proposed.
- Children’s Theatre (adult performers) and Youth Theatre (youth performers) productions typically have performances on Saturday and Sunday at 11 a.m. & 2 p.m. only. We will also consider adding a 7:30 p.m. performance on Friday evenings if selecting a 2-week production slot.
- The preference is for large, family-oriented musicals in July and August. Additionally, the Arts Barn will open the academic year (September) and close the season (June) with strong productions such as familiar musicals, mysteries, comedies or children’s shows.
- The Arts Barn seeks to develop a season that includes all genres (comedy, drama, mystery, musical) and has something for everyone.
- Please think thematically. For example, strong choices for the November/December slot would include a holiday theme that the whole family can enjoy. (Note: Show may open on the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. An early load-in schedule is available.) Romance-themed productions are sought for February.
- The Arts Barn seeks quality theater geared for children and youth.
- The Arts Barn will consider re-mounts or encore performances of successful shows which your group recently produced.
- The Arts Barn seeks a balance of the familiar along with the new and edgy.
- The Arts Barn welcomes proposals that include marketing ideas that will bring in new audiences.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are made via an online form. Supplemental material (scripts, librettos or musical CDs) are welcome, but not required unless requested by the Theatre Program Coordinator. If sending supplemental materials digitally, please direct them to the Theatre Program Coordinator, Laura W. Andruski at email@example.com. For snail mail: Laura W. Andruski, Arts Barn, 311 Kent Square Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878.
- All online applications must be completed by midnight on December 14, 2018.
- If requested, all supplemental material must be delivered to the Arts Barn by December 28 by 5:00 p.m.
- Decisions will be made by March 1, 2019.
- To complete an application go online.
For any additional questions, please contact Laura W. Andruski, Theatre Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-805-1276.