Arts on the Green, the City of Gaithersburg’s home for the performing and visual arts which includes the Kentland’s Mansion and Arts Barn, is now soliciting production proposals for the theater season beginning July 2020 through June 2021. Located in the Kentland’s, the Arts Barn (theatre venue) is housed in a Victorian-era renovated stable with a charming 99-seat theater.
Productions accepted for the Theater Series will be part of the Theater Arts Partnership Program (TAPP). A production partnership is created between the production company and the Arts Barn/City of Gaithersburg. The City provides use of the Arts Barn and its many resources (fully equipped theatre, rehearsal space, box office, advertising and marketing support) without the high rental rates of other facilities in the area. The production company is responsible for the direct production costs of the show (royalties, set and construction, props, costumes, etc.). The box office proceeds are then split between the production company (60%) and the City (40%). This unique program provides TAPP partners affordable, quality production space while helping the City fulfill its commitment to a robust arts and cultural environment for its residents.
The theater season is July 2020 through June 2021. Theater productions generally run three weeks preceded by a week of tech time in the theater. There are also two 2-week slots available in the 2020-2021 season designated for Children’s Theatre/Youth Theatre productions.
Groups may propose up to five productions and may select as many performance slots as they wish. This selection process is conducted annually and selections are based on the strength of the proposal and the credentials of the theater group by a peer review committee. No group, regardless of past TAPP participation is assured of inclusion in the theater series. The Arts Barn reserves the right to decline any or all proposals submitted.
Factors to consider before making your proposal:
– Children’s Theatre (adult performers) and Youth Theatre (youth performers) productions typically have performances on Saturday and Sunday at 11am & 2pm only. We will also consider adding a 7:30pm performance on Friday evenings if selecting a 2-week production slot.
– The preference is for large, family-oriented musicals in July and August. Additionally, the Arts Barn will open the academic year (September) and close the season (June) with strong productions such as familiar musicals, mysteries, comedies or children’s shows.
– The Arts Barn seeks to develop a season that includes all genres (comedy, drama, mystery, musical) and has something for everyone.
– Groups are encouraged to consider submitting proposals that are linked to themes that will be featured in the 20-21 season. For example:
– Since 2019 has been designated “The Year of the Woman,” we are seeking plays that celebrate women for the month of September and the Woman’s Right to Vote movement. Additionally, we will also consider productions that celebrate Hispanic-Latino Heritage month in September/October. In lieu of themed proposals, all proposals will be considered.
– Strong choices for the November/December slot would include a holiday theme that the whole family can enjoy. (Note: Show may open on the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. An early load-in schedule is available.)
– Romance-themed productions are sought for February, as well as productions celebrating Black History Month.
– The Arts Barn seeks quality theater geared for children and youth.
– The Arts Barn will consider re-mounts or encore performances of successful shows which your group recently produced.
– The Arts Barn seeks a balance of the familiar along with the new and edgy.
– The Arts Barn welcomes proposals that include marketing ideas that will bring in new audiences.
Weren’t there some other themes with visual arts? Science and artists? Something? Something?
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications are made via an online form. Supplemental material (scripts, librettos or musical CDs) are welcome, but not required unless requested by the Theatre Program Coordinator. If sending supplemental materials digitally, please direct them to the Theatre Program Coordinator, Laura W. Andruski at email@example.com.
For snail mail:
Laura W. Andruski
311 Kent Square Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
· All online applications must be complete by midnight on December 13, 2019, midnight.
· If requested, all supplemental material must be delivered to the Arts Barn by December 20th by 5:00 p.m.
· Decisions will be made by March 1, 2019.
· To complete an application go to: https://fs30.formsite.com/GBurgMD/form48/index.html
For any additional questions, please contact the Laura W. Andruski, Theatre Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-805-1276.